CONFERENCE 5th MAY 2018 8am to 5pm
MASTERMIND 6th May 2018 9am to 1pm
SYDNEY CBD AUSTRALIA
10 + SPEAKERS AND INDUSTRY LEADERS
The Copywriting ConferenceHelping you take your copywriting business to the next level
The conference by copywriters for copywriters
Australia’s favourite dedicated copywriting conference is back.
The 2018 Copywriting Conference Australia (known as ‘CopyCon’) is happening on May 5th in Sydney. And it’s jam-packed with content to help you build a better business, learn new copywriting skills, and grow your revenue.
This is your chance to truly embrace your copywriting career, whether in-house or as a freelancer. You’ll also get to meet other copywriters, share your highs and woes, and become part of the copywriting community.
We’ve picked some of Australia’s most successful copywriters to bring you the topics that matter most. No fluff. No filler. Just an entire day of seriously helpful content.
THE TAKE AWAYS
So what will you take away from The Copywriting Conference?
Sure we’ll have the traditional goodie bags and heaps of free mints. But that’s not what I’m talking about.
Attending a conference like this can change your copywriting career. You’ll get to:
- Understand how you can compete in a world full of low-pay freelancing sites
- Decide whether you’re better off as a niche or a generalist copywriter
- Build confidence when writing everything from sales copy to press releases and more
- Find out how to get more work with agencies and big brands
- Learn how to build your authority through the power of videos and awards
- Hear real-life stories from other copywriters just like you
- Feel confident about tackling bigger, more complex projects
And of course, it’s a great opportunity to mingle with other copywriters, share ideas, and make new contacts. It’s time to step out from behind your screen and meet other copywriters in the flesh.
The Clever Copywriting School
The Digital Picnic
Your Mind Health Matters
Adroit Business Solutions
FAQ Business Training
A professional actor and now business owner, Kat has been lucky enough to experience the best of both the business and entertainment worlds. As a performer, she’s worked in theme parks and commercial musical theatre as well as on films, commercials and corporate videos. She’s even written and produced her own cabaret shows.
Away from the camera, Kat worked in real estate and the advertising industry before eventually co-founding Revenge Creative, a boutique marketing agency where she works as a copywriter and marketing strategist. She’s also a proud member of The Clever Copywriting Community and a graduate of Kate’s Recipe for SEO Success course.
|8.30am||10 mins||TABLE MEET AND GREET||GET TO KNOW YOUR TABLE BUDDIES|
|8.40 – 9.00 am||20 mins||KATE TOON||OPENING REMARKS: MY COPYWRITING EVOLUTION|
|9.00 – 9.40 am||40 mins||KELLY EXETER||HOW TO EDIT: A STEP BY STEP GUIDE|
|9.40 – 10.20 am||30 mins||JOANNA WEIBE||LIVE LINK UP FROM THE US: CONVERSION COPYWRITING SECRETS|
|10.20 – 10.50 am||30 mins||MORNING TEA BREAK|
|10.50 – 11.20 am||30 mins||DAVE EDDY||EMBRACING THE AI ROBOTS: COPYWRITING IN THE JETSONS ERA|
|11.20 – 11.50 am||30 mins||CHERIE CLONAN||SOCIAL SUCCESS FOR YOUR COPYWRITING BUSINESS|
|11.50 – 12.20 pm||30 mins||JANE TWEEDY||WINNING MORE SMALL BUSINESS CLIENTS BY GETTING INSIDE THEIR HEADS|
|12.20 – 1.20 pm||60 min||LUNCH BREAK|
|1.20 – 1.35 pm||15 mins||COPYSCHOOL MEMBER TBC||MY COPYWRITING STORY|
|1.35 – 2.05 pm||30 mins||SHARON CHISHOLM||FINDING (AND KEEPING) YOUR COPYWRITING MOJO|
|2.05 – 2.35pm||30 mins||CHRISTOPHER MORIARTY||CONCEPTING AND THE BIG IDEA|
|2.35 – 3.05pm||30 mins||NATHAN SEPPELT||SEO COPYWRITING: BALANCING BRAND, READER AND SEO NEEDS|
|3.05 – 3.40pm||35 mins||AFTERNOON TEA BREAK|
|3.40 – 4.10pm||30 mins||ROBERT GERRISH||DEALING WITH DIFFICULT CLIENTS|
|4.10 – 4.40pm||30 mins||NATASHA DAVID||WORKING WITH JOURNOS: HOW TO MAKE YOUR MEDIA PRESENCE POP|
|4.40 – 5.20pm||30 mins||KATE TOON AND GLENN MURRAY||Q&A: GOOD COPY (WRITER) / BAD COPY (WRITER)|
|5.20 – 5.30pm||10 mins||KATE TOON||WRAP|
KELLY EXETER : HOW TO EDIT : A STEP BY STEP GUIDE
Kelly Exeter is the editor of Flying Solo, the owner of Swish Design, and is the author of three books. She also pens a popular self-improvement blog called A Life Less Frantic, and is the co-host of two podcasts: Straight and Curly, and Let it Be.
If you’re thinking that someone who has that much on their plate must be highly productive, you’d be right. And Kelly looks forward to helping you boost yourproductivity, too.
JOANNA WEIBE: LIVE LINK UP FROM US: CONVERSION COPYWRITING SECRETS
DAVE EDDY: EMBRACING THE AI ROBOTS: COPYWRITING IN THE JETSONS ERA
CHERIE CLONAN: SOCIAL SUCCESS FOR YOUR COPYWRITING BUSINESS
JANE TWEEDY: WINNING MORE SMALL BUSINESS CLIENTS BY GETTING INSIDE THEIR HEADS
SHARON CHISHOLM: FINDING (AND KEEPING) YOUR COPYWRITING MOJO
CHRISTOPHER MORIARTY: CONCEPTING AND THE BIG IDEA
NATHAN SEPPPELT: SEO COPYWRITING: BALANCING BRAND, READER AND SEO NEEDS
ROBERT GERRISH: DEALING WITH DIFFICULT CLIENTS
NATASHA DAVID: WORKING WITH JOURNOS: HOW TO MAKE YOUR MEDIA PRESENCE POP
KATE TOON & GLENN MURRAY: GOOD COPY (WRITER) / BAD COPY (WRITER)
This half-Day Mastermind with Glenn, Kelly, Laura, Amanda and Kate is where you’ll get to dig in to what it really takes to run a successful Freelance Copywriting Business.
We’re limiting attendee numbers to allow for small group discussions.
- Listen as our experts take you through their personal approach and systems for Pitching, Process, Profile building and creating a Profitable business.
- Sit down with the experts and turn their tips and advice into practical action for your business.
- Discuss your problems and challenges with other like-minded business owners.
- Finish your CopyCon experience by enjoying a delicious networking lunch, chatting with our experts in a more informal setting as you take in views of Sydney Harbour.
|9.00am||10 mins||REGISTRATION / INTROS|
|9.10am||20 mins||KATE TOON||INTRODUCTION|
|9.30 – 9.45am||15 min||AMANDA VANELDEREN||PITCH: HOW TO WIN MORE BUSINESS|
|9:45 – 10.15 am||30 mins||ROUND TABLE|
|10:15 – 10.30 am||15 mins||KELLY EXETER||PROFILE: HOW TO BUILD YOUR BRAND|
|10.30 – 11.00 am||30 mins||ROUND TABLE|
|11.00 – 11:30 am||30 mins||MORNING TEA BREAK|
|11.30 – 11.45 am||15mins||GLENN MURRAY||PROCESS: HOW TO STREAMLINE PROJECTS|
|11.45 – 12.15 am||30 mins||ROUND TABLE|
|12.15 – 12.30 pm||15 mins||LAURA ELKASLASSY||PROFIT: HOW TO BE MORE PROFITABLE|
|12.30 – 1:00 am||30 mins||ROUND TABLE|
|1 pm||FINISH & LUNCH|
Amanda Vanelderen: PITCH: HOW TO WIN MORE BUSINESS
Amanda is a working copywriter based in Brisbane. She leapt/belly flopped into freelancing after 18 years in comms, marketing and media. Establishing WorkWords in 2016, she applies the same mantra she uses in her writing to pitching and client management – make a connection.
Amanda has worked with brands like FOX Sports, Lendlease, Macquarie, Monash IVF and Ricoh. She has a Bachelor of Arts in Communication (Professional Writing) and finished her Masters of Communication and Media Studies bouncing a baby on her knee. Born to write, loves to laugh, and used to be cool enough that she’s been to over 500 live music gigs.
Glenn Murray: PROCESS: HOW TO STREAMLINE PROJECTS
Glenn is a specialist website copywriter, and the author of ‘SEO Secrets’ and ‘Practical SEO Copywriting’. He runs the Australian copywriting and design studio, Divine Write.
During his 23-year career, Glenn has worked for some of the world’s biggest brands including Toyota, IBM, Virgin, Honeywell, Westpac, Commonwealth Bank, Telstra and BigPond.
Before starting Divine Write, Glenn worked as a technical writer in the software industry for nine years, writing manuals and online help. He has a Master of Arts in International Communication and a Bachelor of Arts in English Literature and Linguistics. He’s a father of three, an opportunistic reader, and a bit of a geek.
Kelly Exeter: PROFILE: HOW TO BUILD YOUR BRAND
Kelly Exeter is the owner of Swish Design, and is the author of three books. She also pens a popular self-improvement blog called A Life Less Frantic, and is the co-host of two podcasts: Straight and Curly, and Let it Be.
Laura Elkaslassy: PROFIT: HOW TO BE MORE PROFITABLE
Laura Elkaslassy is the owner and founder of Adroit Business Solutions, as well as a Profit First Professional and money mentor. Laura loves to empower business owners to understand and own their finances. Laura’s mission and passion are to ensure solo and small business owners not only understand what is happening in their business but also that they can pay themselves and make a profit.
The event will take place at the Kirribilli Club in North Sydney.
THE NETWORKING PARTY
We’ll be having an optional networking drinks and nibbles after the event at the Kirribilli club.
FEEL THE LOVE
Some words from previous attendees.
The best Conference I’ve ever been to.
An amazing day full of learning and laughter at the The Copywriting Conference in Sydney yesterday. It would have to be without question, the best Conference I’ve ever been to. Bring on #copycon2018!Sandy Taylor
The place was right, the speakers were right, the content was right.
When you get a room full of insecure creatives and by the end of the day, they’ve all grown another foot in confidence, you know you’ve done something right.
The place was right, the speakers were right, the content was right, and, above all, the timing was right. It’s hard to believe that until CopyCon, there’d never been a copywriting conference in Australia. I learnt a lot, met terrific people – talented people – made new friends, and walked away with a smile. What more could you ask for?
I’ve come away feeling energised and connected with a passionate, creative community of people
When you get a room full of insecure creatives and by the end of the day, they’ve all grown another foot in confidence, you know you’ve done something right.
Fabulous speakers who not only educated, but entertained – and Kate’s vibrant, down-to-earth personality shining throughout the day. An all round vibe of shared relief to escape our copywriting hovels and be a part of something bigger. I’ve come away feeling energised and connected with a passionate, creative community of people – we copywriters are truly lucky.
CopyCon was by far the best professional development event I’ve ever been to.
Passionate, intelligent speakers; excellent networking opportunities and great goodie bags. Can’t wait for next year!Simon Mitchell
Conference only | Early Bird PricingOne day, single stream conference
- All 10 sessions with expert speakers
- Fully catered lunch and refreshment breaks
- Access to pre-event Facebook group
Conference + Mastermind | Early Bird Pricing1.5 days, conference plus group mastermind
- Everything in the Conference ticket plus:
- Half day Mastermind with Glenn, Kelly, Amanda, Laura and Kate
- Fully catered lunch and refreshment breaks
Price includes booking fees. GST added for Australian customers.
Not a community member? Join here.
When and where is the conference?
The Copywriting Conference takes place on 5th of May 2018 and the Mastermind on the 6th May 2018 in Sydney, NSW – At the Kirribilli Club, 11 Harbourview Crescent, Lavender Bay, Sydney, NSW 2060.
Do I need to be a professional copywriter to attend?
Not at all, this event is for all copywriters and it will suit anyone who works in marketing. It’s also great for those looking to break in to copywriting as a career or those who would like to learn more about copywriting for their small business.
Will there be Internet access at the conference?
Yes, complimentary Wi-Fi Internet access will be available to all event attendees.
What is the schedule?
The Copywriting Conference offers 13 short sharp training sessions, 1 Q&A and 3 networking breaks, as well as an optional evening networking do with nibbles
The focus of the event is helping you set up or improve your copywriting business, rather than learning particular writing skills.
Are meals provided at the conference?
- At the Conference morning and afternoon tea breaks with refreshments are provided as well as a buffet lunch.
- There will be an optional Networking Party from 5.30 pm open to ticket holders only.
- At the Mastermind a morning tea break with refreshments is provided as well as a sit down lunch.
Can I bring my child/ren to the event
Sadly we don’t recommend bringing children to the event. It’s a casual but professional day and we’re not able to provide childcare facilities. No pets either. Unless they’re guinea pigs that can be contained in a laptop bag.
What do I need to bring with me?
We recommend bringing your laptop if you’re the kind of person who likes to type up notes. Pads and pens, water and mints will be provided.
Can I claim the event as a taxable expense?
As this is a training event, it should be a deductible expense. However, we recommend you talk to your accountant about it.
What's the dress code?
There’s no formal dress code, be scruffy, be smart, be yourself.
Are there student, government, group, nonprofit or concession discounts?
No discounts are available, but we’ve worked hard to keep the prices affordable.
How do I buy a ticket?
Tickets are not yet on sale but will go live in early November. Join the wait list to be the first to know.
Please take a moment to check your email address carefully – it’s easy to mistype and miss out on your ticket confirmation.
How can we become an event sponsor?
Contact us for details of our sponsorship packages – they’re kind of awesome.
Where can I stay nearby?
There are heaps of hotels and places to stay in North Sydney. We’re in the process of finding a hotel that can offer us a Conference discount.
What food options will be available?
We’ll be catering for vegetarians and gluten free diets.
How accessible is the venue?
Is there parking nearby?
Yes – the Club has 65 car spaces available on the Basement Levels 1 and 2.
Learn more about the costs here
Where is the nearest train station?
Milsons Point train station is the closest and is a short 7 minute walk around the block via Alfred Street & then Lavender Street.
North Sydney station is about a 10 minute walk.
What's the refund policy?
Tickets are sold on a strictly no refund basis. In the event that the The Copywriting Conference is cancelled, you will be refunded the face value of the ticket.
The right is reserved to vary advertised schedules to add, withdraw or substitute speakers and sessions where necessary.
Do you have an affiliate program?
Terms and conditions
- Tickets are sold by Kate Toon as the event organiser of the The Copywriting Conference.
- Kate Toon is GST Registered, all ticket prices include GST (ABN 88509898967).
- These terms and conditions are subject to change at any time and it is the responsibility of the ticket holder to be aware of the terms and/or changes.
- No person/s, at any time, can use, copy, record, sell or publicly broadcast all, or any part of, The Copywriting Conference.
- Ticket Prices
- Standard tickets will be available from TBC – to April 15th, unless sold out.
- Registration Forms and Payment
- Price and ticket availability information is subject to change without notice.
- Tickets can be printed from your Eventbrite email, once the purchase process has been completed.
- The Event Organisers cannot be responsible for spam filters blocking confirmation emails. If you have not received confirmation of your purchase within 48 hours please contact us using the contact form.
- Accommodation costs are not included in the conference registration fee. Attendees are responsible for making their own lodging and travel arrangements.
- Registrations will be handled on a first-come, first-served basis.
- All ticket holders are responsible for keeping their contact details up to date via their account on the event website.
- Event attendees are to arrive at the conference venue by 8am for registration on the day of the event.
- Ticket Policy
- Tickets may only be purchased via the The Copywriting Conference and Eventbrite websites.
- Tickets purchased from other sources are not valid.
- All tickets sales are final and subject to these terms and conditions.
- You may nominate a substitute to take your place at the conference at any time up to 1 April 2017.
- If you wish to substitute a participant, please contact the Event Organiser at the earliest opportunity by contact using the contact form.
- Event Organisers will not be responsible for any tickets that are lost or stolen; you are still able to attend the conference, provided you are able to supply photo identification upon arrival.
- Tickets will not be available at the event.
- Ticket prices are subject to change at any time.
- Ticket prices are subject to GST and the Eventbrite ticket fee.
- All tickets are non-refundable.
- Ticket prices do not include parking allowance at or near the venue.
- In the event that the event is cancelled, ticket holders will receive a full refund minus any bank or administrative fees incurred by the event organiser for receiving the original ticket payment. Refunds will be paid within 30 days of the event cancellation announcement.
- Conference Programme
- The Copywriting Conference programme, presenters and speakers are subject to change at any time, without notice.
- Participation and Behaviour at Conference Meetings and Activities
- Conference attendees are expected to behave professionally at all times whilst at the Event or the venue. Use of obscene or offensive language, abuse, destructive or threatening behaviour directed at any other person is not acceptable and will result in the attendee(s) concerned being barred from returning to The Copywriting Conference. Persons expelled from the event are not liable for refund or compensation of any kind from the Event Organiser.
- Permission to capture and use images, audio and video from the Event and venue
- Ticket holders agree to the Event being filmed and/or recorded by the Event Organiser.
- Ticket holders agree to use of still photographs, video and audio from all Event sessions and activities by the Event Organiser to promote the 2018 and any future The Copywriting Conference events.
- Unless explicit request is made to the Event Organiser, ticket holders agree to use of images, audio or video across any and all channels including print, online and social media.
- Your privacy is very important to us and we are committed to protecting the integrity of the personal information we collect from you.
- The Privacy Act 1988 (Commonwealth) and the Privacy Principles govern the way in which we manage your personal information and this policy sets out how we collect, use, disclose and otherwise manage personal information about you.
- Please note that participant contact details will be kept on the online The Clever Copywriting School database, which will only be used by Kate Toon and event staff. Personal bank details and credit card information is not kept on file.
- Unless the Registration Office has received an explicit request from a registrant asking us expressly not to share his/her contact information (through the Registration Form), a list of all attendees’ names, their affiliated institutions and e-mail addresses may be included in the conference attendee gift packs and published on a “Who’s Who” page on The Copywriting Conference website.
- Your contact e-mail address will be used to circulate details and announcements of current and future The Clever Copywriting School news. You may unsubscribe from this correspondence at any time.
- If you would like your personal information record to be deleted after the conference, please notify the conference organisers using the contact form.
- SPAM Act 2003 & Unsolicited Electronic Messages Act 2007: We are committed to observing our obligations under the Unsolicited Electronic Messages Act 2007. If you receive a commercial electronic message from us and you do not wish to receive any further messages of this nature from us, please follow the steps outlined in this communication for unsubscribing, or contact us using the contact form.
- Personal Property & Insurance
- The Clever Copywriting School organisers accept no responsibility for loss or damage to personal property that is brought to or left at The Copywriting Conference.
- The ticket holder will be responsible for any loss, damage or injury incurred as a result of contracts entered into, advice sought or obtained from The Copywriting Conference, Kate Toon and/or any sponsor. Any loss or damage to property or persons whilst at the venue, unless caused by the negligence of The Clever Copywriting School, is the responsibility of the ticket holder.
- Ticket registration fees do not include insurance of any kind. We recommend that you obtain your own general travel insurance. It is suggested that the insurance policy should also cover loss of fees/deposit, airfares, accommodation charges, medical expenses, loss or damage to personal property while attending The Copywriting Conference. The insurance should cover loss arising from the cancellation of the conference by the organisers or your inability to attend due to any reason whatsoever. No responsibility is taken by the conference managers for any person not holding insurance.
- Governing Law
These terms and conditions shall be governed by and construed under the law of the State of New South Wales, Australia.
- Contact Details
If you have any questions about the event, the event organisers, or these terms and conditions, please contact us using the contact form.