IntroductionAn overview of The Clever Copywriting School membership
- The goal of the community is to provide support throughout your copywriting journey.
- It’s not a course, it’s a resource.
- The more you put in the more you get out.
- The members who get the best value from the membership are those who engage in the community and build relationships with others.
HOW THE COMMUNITY WORKS
- The Facebook group – your virtual water cooler.
- The membership area – where you’ll find resources, templates and more.
- The live support – regular zoom calls to learn, ask questions, chat and work.
- The job board – where we post leads for copy jobs.
- The directory – where you can list your services (annual members only)
- The team (firstname.lastname@example.org) – your first point of call if you have technical, financial or concerns regarding your membership.
- We use hashtags at the start of all posts to help people understand and find content.
- Think of hashtags as a headline for your post, flagging the topic you’re covering.
- Here are some hashtags you could use, but you can also make up your own:
- #BOOK – a book recommendation
- #COLLABORATION – need to buddy up on a job or get some senior backup
- #FUN – just fun stuff
- #HEALTH – health and energy
- #PITA – whinge about annoying client
- #NCR – Not copy related. Please use this hashtag sparingly and remember that this group is primarily for sharing copy related posts.
- #QUESTION – question for group
- #QWINGE – is it a question is it a whinge? Matt Fenwick will decide.
- #TIP – advice or tip for other writers
- #WHINGE – a straight out whinge
- #WIN – anything good that has happened
- #WWYD – What would you do
- #WORSTESTWORDS – really really bad copy you’ve found on the interwebs (no names please)
1.3 GROUP DAYS
Generally you’re free to post what you want when you want, but we do have a few loose theme days:
- MOTIVATION MONDAY – plan your week
- WIN FRIDAY – celebrate your wins
* You’ll notice there’s no PROMO day, this is a 100% promo and spam free group.
1.4 MEMBER SPREADSHEET
This is where we publish:
- Member details
- Average Job rates
- Copy buddies (see 3.10)
1.5 CODE OF CONDUCT
- I’m happy for you to vent your spleen about clients or show examples of poor copy, but please do not name names. If you do your post will be removed.
- If you ask a question, please politely acknowledge the advice and say thank you even if you disagree. We’re all rushing, but try not to be abrupt or short in your responses if possible, take time to be polite. And if you’ve had enough responses, please turn the commenting off.
- This is an open group, feel free to post what you like, if you’re unsure the post is a good fit, just email email@example.com and my team and I will guide you. Please don’t send everyone in the group a friend request or private message without permission. It’s creepy.
- Please don’t add everyone in the group to your email list without permission.
- Please be supportive and kind to other members of the group. Don’t be rude, nasty or otherwise antisocial. If we feel you’re not playing by the community rules you’ll receive a warning. If your antisocial activity continues you’ll be removed from the group. (But you’ll still have access to the membership materials.)
- This is a no promo group. Only provide links to your stuff if requested and do not pm without permission.
- This means it’s not okay to promote any copywriting coaching, events, products, templates and services here.
- Any such posts will be removed and could risk your removal from the group.
- Blocking the admins of this group will result in immediate removal from the group.
You’ll find all our regular events in the events tab in the Facebook group.
These include monthly Toon trainings, Masterclasses, Coffee chats and more.
1.7 FIND YOUR CLAN
Are you a people person?
Does meeting people face to face boost your energy and outlook?
Find other copybeasts near you by heading to these posts:
- Adelaide: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10213138434799205&set=oa.497098627297873&type=3&theater
- Brisbane: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10213138436079237&set=oa.497098627297873&type=3&theater
- Canberra: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10213138436359244&set=oa.497098627297873&type=3&theater
- Darwin: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10213138437919283&set=oa.497098627297873&type=3&theater
- Hobart: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10213138441559374&set=oa.497098627297873&type=3&theater
- Melbourne: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10213138441439371&set=oa.497098627297873&type=3&theater
- Perth: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10213138444399445&set=oa.497098627297873&type=3&theater
- Sydney: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10213138446119488&set=oa.497098627297873&type=3&theater
- Exotic https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10213138439759329&set=oa.497098627297873&type=3&theater
1.8 SHARE YOUR SOCIALS
Feel free to share your social media and website links in this album.
- We send a fortnightly email wrap up of all group activity in the group. If you’re not receiving it please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
1.10 COPY BUDDIES
We partner all members interested in participating with a copy buddy.
Copy buddies are listed in the Member spreadsheet.
It’s a voluntary program, and not a mentoring thing, so don’t expect a buddy with oodles more experience than you.
You can bounce ideas off each other, ask questions that you don’t feel comfortable asking in the group, support each other with your PITA clients and work wins, cheer each other on and save each other’s sanity and stress.
You can also swap work for opinions, refer work if you don’t have capacity, do proofing for each other in a contra style, share leads, etc.
You can also set accountability goals for each other.
How to get a copy buddy
- Head to this post. https://www.facebook.com/groups/182192068788532/permalink/953875328286865/
- Advise if you’d prefer local or virtual and if local share your location, and what you’re looking for in a copy buddy in just a few lines.
- We’ll do our best to play match-maker.
What to do if your copy buddy doesn’t work out
Let us know by emailing email@example.com and we’ll try to find you a new buddy.
1.11 FACEBOOK GROUP SUPPORT
If you have questions about your copywriting journey post them in the group – don’t forget to begin with a #HASHTAG.
If you have technical issues with the site or issues with payment then contact firstname.lastname@example.org – do not post in group. Support queries are answered within 24-48 hours on weekdays.
2. THE MEMBERSHIP AREA
2.1 LOGGING IN
Please note that 99% of tech issues with the site are caused by caching.
Please clear your cache BEFORE you email us – if you’re not sure how, head here.
2.2 TECHNICAL ISSUES
When you do report a tech issue tell us:
- Which browser you’re using.
- What the issue is.
- What error message you’re getting (Screengrab).
- Please note we aim to reply to tech issues with 24-48 hours, please be patient.
2.3 COPY HUB
- You’ll find the Copy Hub page here
- This is the main dashboard page for all purchases made through the site.
- It gives you access to all the content associated with your account.
You’ll find our member FAQs here.
If you have any to suggest, please complete the form at the bottom of the page
- We send out a fortnightly update email to all members, to recap the group highlights for the previous two weeks.
- When you first join you’ll also receive a weekly nurturing email that helps you work through the content in the first 6 weeks.
The emails are drip fed this way to reduce any overwhelm.
- We also send out a monthly email focusing on The Clever Copywriting School as a whole. This includes updates, copy tips, good reads and resources you may find useful.
- If you have any email issues, contact email@example.com
2.6 RESOURCES : FREE TEMPLATES + COURSES
- As a membership perk, you have access to over 10 free templates to boost your copywriting business.
- These include:
- Free LinkedIn Course
- Daily Planner Template by Angela Rodgers
- Word Swap Template
- Content Calendar
- Work in progress tracker
- Blog post template
- Copywriter Budget Spreadsheet
- Goal setting template
- GST email
- Revisions brief
- 2019 Profit First finance tracker Template by Tanya Abdul ElJalil
- You can find your free resources at the bottom of the Copy Hub page.
2.7 RESOURCES : TOON TRAINING
- Each month Kate does a tailored online training in the group.
- Each training will target a specific area to help you along your copywriting journey.
- The trainings are held via zoom and all upcoming trainings are listed in the events section of the Facebook group.
You also have access to ALL past trainings, make sure you use this valuable resource. You can find past recordings here.
2.8 RESOURCES : MASTERCLASSES
Struggling with something? Likelihood is we already have a training on this.
- Two brains are better than one. Our monthly masterclasses leverage the knowledge of experts in the group and outside of the group.
- Masterclasses can be in the form of skill training, software demo or processes to help you along.
- The trainings are held via zoom and all upcoming trainings are listed in the events section of the Facebook group.
- You also have access to ALL past masterclasses, make sure you use this valuable resource. You can find them here.
If you’d like to suggest a masterclass, please email firstname.lastname@example.org and we’ll do our best to work it into the schedule.
2.9 RESOURCES : COFFEE CHATS
- We hold monthly online coffee chats.
- A safe place where we can drink coffee/tea/wine (no judgement) and chat.
- Freelance life can be lonely and sometimes you just need a chat to connect with other copybeasts.
- These chats are informal and are more about connecting with others than learning a new thing.
- The chats are held via zoom and all upcoming chat times are listed in the events section of the Facebook group.
Recordings can be found here.
2.10 RESOURCES : MEMBER MAKEOVERS
- I’ve created a library of wonderful Member Makeovers for you to check out.
- Each has a detailed breakdown of the topics covered.
- I’ll be offering the opportunity for new member makeovers in the group every once in a while, so keep a look out for these.
2.11 RESOURCES : COPY CRITIQUES
- Want to know how to uplevel your copywriting skills? Send a piece of your copy to email@example.com and I’ll pop you on the list for a copy critique.
- The critique will be anonymous.
- You can submit up to 500 words.
- I can’t guarantee your copy will be reviewed before a particular deadline.
- This is an honest, unbiased review of the piece. What works well and what needs to be improved. If you aren’t comfortable with suggestions for improvement, the critique is not for you.
2.12 RESOURCES : COPYWRITING HACKS
- Short training videos of things Kate has learned along her journey.
- Includes website hacks, social hacks, organisation hacks, productivity hacks, content hacks and more.
Discovered a new way to do something? A fancy automation? Quick cheat?
Send it through to firstname.lastname@example.org, I’d love to know about it.
2.13 RESOURCES : COPYWRITING TOOL KIT
- Over 100 podcasts, books and online copywriting tools.
- I’ve collected a heap of useful tools to help newbie and experienced copywriters write awesome copy.
- There are some free tools and some paid tools.
2.14 RESOURCES : MEMBER BADGES
- I’ve created a range of member badges here.
- You can add them to your footer and link back to the directory.
2.15 RESOURCES : PAID TEMPLATES
- All members get a discount on resources in the Copy Shop.
- Annual members receive a generous 20% discount and monthly members receive a 10% discount.
- You must be LOGGED IN to get this discount.
2.16 RESOURCES : SUBMITTING A BLOG
- I love featuring content from newbie and experienced writers.
- You can submit a guest blog post here.
- Please read all the blog requirements prior to submitting your post.
- All posts must be uploaded using the blog post copywriting template included in membership.
- Post must be a minimum of 800 words and a maximum of 1200 words.
- Post must be relevant and useful for new copywriters and must provide advice, guidance or tips (no self promotion please).
- Please ensure you upload a royalty free header image for your blog.
- All posts will be quality checked prior to publishing.
- There is no guarantee when your post will be published.
2.17 MEMBERSHIP ADMIN
- If you’d like to upgrade your membership contact email@example.com.
- You’ll receive a notification of your membership renewal 3 days before it’s due to renew.
- If you’d like to cancel please let us know.
- All memberships are set up to automatically renew. If you cancel your renewal subscription via PayPal, this will trigger the cancellation in our system.
- Please let us know if you’ve done this internationally, otherwise the team will begin the membership removal process.
3.THE LIVE SUPPORT
Visit our Events page to get an overview of the types of events we offer, along with how to access them.
- Attending a live support event
- We use Zoom for most of our live support calls.
- To use Zoom, simply head to https://zoom.us/download and download the app. Once it’s installed you can create an account, create a meeting, share the link then start video conferencing.
- Zoom does have some paid versions, and depending on your specific requirements there are different subscriptions available. However, the Basic package is totally free. (We use this one, and it works just fine.)
- If you want to participate we recommend getting a mic and a camera!
4. THE JOB BOARD
4.1 JOB BOARD
- From time to time we will post jobs on the job board
- Please remember that the community is sold as a community more than a job board. No guarantees are given.
- Jobs will be posted at various times (no one time is going to work for all members).
- The information we post on the job is all we have. If you have questions, ask the client in your pitch email.
- Jobs are removed from the job board automatically after 48 hours or before if job poster requests.
- We’d love it if you’d update the group if you win a job from one of our referrals.
- Want to receive alerts whenever a new job is added to the job board? The easiest way to do this is just add the URL to Visual Ping, it’s a great tool.
- You need to be logged in to your account to view the contact details for each job.
4.2 MEMBER JOBS, REFERRALS AND SUBBING
- Please share jobs via the job board where possible rather than in the Facebook group.
- We take no responsibility for jobs shared by members and will not get involved in any disputes.
- Please be transparent about rates, referral fees and deadlines.
- Please be clear about where you are referring or subcontracting.
- We recommend you use the:
5. THE DIRECTORY
4.1 YOUR DIRECTORY LISTING
- All annual members get a free directory listing.
- You can add your directory listing here.
4.2 EDITING YOUR DIRECTORY LISTING
- Watch the video below to see how to add and edit your listing.
HOW TO ADD AND EDIT YOUR DIRECTORY LISTING
4.3 ADDING REVIEWS TO YOUR DIRECTORY LISTING
- You can add reviews to your listing yourself, however it looks more professional if your client adds them for you.
- The review is shown from whoever posts the review itself, if you do the post, it will appear as though you’re reviewing yourself.
- To add a review, head to your listing, scroll to the bottom, hit “Write a review” and you’re all set.
4.4 CONTACTS AND LEADS
A potential client can contact you through your directory listing in one of two ways:
- They can use the contact details you provide on your directory. This could be an email address, phone number, or even a link to your website.
- They can fill out a guest form on the TCCS site. If this happens you’ll receive an email asking you to check your Clever Copywriting School account to read your message.
Of course like any other contact forms, we get spam, we do our best to combat this but there’s only so much we can.
6. THE TEAM
6.1 KATE TOON
Kate Toon is a writing entrepreneur, as well as a popular coach, speaker, author and podcaster. Her digital education businesses The Recipe for SEO Success and The Clever Copywriting School have helped more than 8000 small business owners grapple the Google beast and write better content.
Nominated as SEMRush SEO Personality of the Year and AusPod’s Business Podcast of Year, 2 years running, Kate runs Australia’s only dedicated copywriting conference COPYCON. She presents at events around the world and runs several hugely successful Facebook groups.
Author of the Amazon Best Seller Confessions of a Misfit Entrepreneur: How to succeed in business despite yourself, Kate lives on the Central Coast of Sydney City, where she loves wandering on the beach with her son and her CFO (Chief Furry Office-dog) Pomplemousse.
6.2 LEANNE WOFF
With over 15 years’ experience, Leanne is an award-winning online business manager and bookkeeper. She works with superstars who run hectic businesses or even multiple businesses, starting with your basic administration and working through to your bookkeeping. In short, she’s a project-managing, process-driven, systems-junkie.
6.3 TERRYN LYONS
6.4 MARCO GATTA
Marco is the founder of Technique Interactive and web developer extraordinaire. He’s been in the digital industry for over 15 years. He’s worked with some of the world’s largest agencies including Ogivly and Lowe Lintas and global brands such as Nestle, Glaxo Smith Kline (GSK), Nokia, Telstra, IBM and more.
Marco set up Technique in 2008, and since then has been involved in over 100 successful site launches and worked with countless corporates, small businesses, bloggers and solopreneuers.
6.5 ROBYN SMART
6.6 SUE WATERSON
Sue has been a senior designer and project manager in major digital and print agencies and she nurtured the next generation of brilliant Brisbane designers at Queensland University of Technology (QUT).
She has astounding left field creativity, reliable right brain business smarts, and matchless customer service. Sue is brilliant with print, digital and app materials – working across the ‘a’ to ‘z’ of industries from architects to zookeepers (almost).
Sue Waterson, founder of Max Gecko Design